The flavor of the food is more or less dependent upon the smoking process. If you want a better result at the end, then the barbecue should be slow and low. For ie, you need to use pure, fresh, and best-quality wood pellets. This type of pellet can release such smoke that can add some unique flavor profile to the food and its taste will be drastically changed.
But, Can you leave pellets in hopper is a question of debt to all the grill enthusiasts. In this article, we will discuss this topic and will help you to develop your option regarding it.
Can You Leave Pellets in Hopper?
The quality of the pellets can get affected, if you leave it in the hopper between your two cooking seasons. But if there is no option, then you need to follow some aspects. For example, you need to use good quality wood pellets, the gap between the two cooking seasons should not be more than 7 days, the grill, along with the pellets are stored properly in a safe place.
The grilling experts always recommend not to leave pellets in the hopper. But it is not mandatory to remove the pellets after cooking seasons. By following the proper storing method you can keep pellets in the hopper for more or less 7 days.
If you are using high quality wood pellets, then it can absorb moisture to some extent and can last for comparatively more time. But, it is risky to leave low-quality’s wood pellets inside a hopper.
But you must try not to leave pellets in the hopper, if you leave it for a long time, without proper storing, then there is a high chance that the pellet and the grill, both can be damaged.
How Long Can You Leave Pellets in the Hopper?
This time duration depends upon some factors. If you expect to leave pellets in the hopper for a longer time, then use a weather-resistant cover and cover the entire pellet grill. Now store it in a safe and shed place. You can consider a garage. The wood’s quality also plays a crucial role here.
If you are using good-quality wood pellets then they can tolerate moisture to some extent. As a result, it can be stored for a longer period of time. The respective time can vary between 14 days to 60 days, depending upon the humidity of the area where you have stored your wood pellets and pellet grill.
You should not leave the pellets in the hopper, if you don’t have any plan of using it, in the upcoming days. You can take it off, by opening the small latched door that is present in most of the pellet smokers. You can store these pellets in a plastic bucket for future use. But make the bucket air tight with a lid. By any means, you need to project these pellets from moisture.
How do You Keep Pellets Dry in a Hopper?
If you have a plan of using the smoker grill in the upcoming 3 or 4 days, then you can leave the pellets in the hooper. But you need to keep them dry, and moist free. So storing them, is crucial here; else there is a high chance of facing degradation in their quality. To maintain their quality, you can follow the below mentioned things.
- Using a quality cover: You need to find a heavy duty cover made of nylon or vinyl. Cheap quality covers can’t serve the purpose. The cover must properly fit on the grill.
- Storing: Always try to find a cover area to store the pellets and don’t leave it open to the air. A garage is the best option. But you can’t arrange one, place them under a veranda.
- Weather: In humid areas, pellets easily come in contact with moisture. So if you live in such an area then don’t try to leave pellets in a hopper.
What is the best way to store wood pellets?
Storing the wood pellets is a very crucial thing. If you don’t do it properly, then there are high chances of damage. While storing the wood pellets follow the below-mentioned things properly.
- Dry place: If your wood pellets come in contact with moisture, then these will not be in a usable condition; this is the worst enemy of wood pellets. It affects the wood quality and ultimately the wood can’t produce the amount of smoke that it is used to. So always store the wood pellets in a dry place. The place must be free from humidity. A garage is the best place for it or you can consider any shaded area.
- Change the packaging: If you are going to store the wood pellets for future use, then please change the package in which it comes. The bag may contain moisture.
- Away from any flame: Wood pallets are highly flammable. So keep them away from any type of fire source. Keep it away from gas pipes, water heaters, cars, etc. If there is extreme heat, it can ignite itself. So be extra cautious while selecting the garage.
- Keep away from stores: Don’t consider floors to store the wood pellets. Floors have a high chance of getting wet and it is better to keep the pellets away from the ground place. A cabinet or a shelf will be the best option to keep it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How long can you leave pellets in the hopper Traeger?
This time depends upon the weather of the area where you are grilling. A 20-pound bag of Traeger pellets can last 6 to 20 hours with continuous use. If you are not going to grill within 7 days, then it is good not to leave pellets in the hopper after cooking is completed. In general, Traeger pellets can last for 6 to 12 months; but you need to store them properly.
How often should you empty the hopper on a Traeger?
Emptying the hopper after every cooking season is not mandatory. But, you have to clean the grill after every three or four cooking seasons. But in between you have to grill some greasier foods, then you have to clean them properly. In general, we can say you have to empty the hopper every 20 to 22 hours.
Can you leave pellets in a pellet stove over the summer?
No, if you do that, the pellets will get moisture and these will not be in a usable condition. The pellet stove can also get damaged. So never leave pellets in a pellet stove over the summer.
Can you store wood pellets in a plastic container?
Yes, you can use a plastic container for storing the wood pellets. But, make sure the lid of the container is tight and there is no chance of getting moisture in.
What is the best container to store wood pellets?
The best container to store wood pellets is a plastic bucket of 5 gallons and it must have an airtight lid.
How long will wood pellets stay good?
You can preserve the wood pellets for 180 days, but the humidity of the environment must be less than 10%. If it is more than 10%, then it can stay good for 30 to 90 days.
If you don’t have any fixed plan to use a smoking grill, then it is better not to leave pellets in the hopper. It is good to store in a plastic bucket and place it in a secure place in a garage. Don’t store too many wood pellets. As these can easily get damaged with moisture.